Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Food for Thought:

A few days back a a resident's car hit a  four year old child who was on his bicycle inside my apartment complex. He was dragged on the driveway, for a few meters, by the car with his bicycle handle firmly stuck in the front right side of the vehicle. If not for a very alert aunty (she was resting after a walk) who jumped on the car , the car would not have stopped and things could have become worse.The child escaped but with injuries on his stomach and elbow.

He was stuck right under the driver's nose and the driver of the vehicle claims he did not see the cycle or the child or even heard the sound of metal clashing. Gross mistake on the part of the driver who knows that he needs to keep his eyes on the road ahead all times..all times especially once inside the flats. My compound is always teeming with children in the evenings and it's when you need to be extra alert when you get in with your car.

It's very home hitting for me for two main reason..I have a four year old son and I drive in and out all the time. There are times when some child would dart right out of the blue in front of the car and at that time if I was driving with my head turned backwards, that's a horror situation waiting to happen!

No comments: